Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog has cushings she is on meds and special food from vet

Customer Question

my dog has cushings she is on meds and special food from vet her blood is now normal but she went blind she is 11 years old keeps pooping and peeing in the house never did before poops about 5-6 times a day what can we do please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sohia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sohia?
Customer: she gained 7 poiunds in a few months but now on strict diet no people food
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 15 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about Sohia.

What medication is she taking for the Cushing's?

When were blood tests last done on her?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
vetoryl 10 mg tablets The last blood work was last week and was normal. She had 2 other blood works and an ultrasound
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would like to know how to stop all the peeing and pooping in the house
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i do not want to call
Expert:  Rebecca replied 15 days ago.

There are different types of Cushing's disease. One type is caused by a tiny tumor on the pituitary gland, causing the adrenal glands to overproduce hormones. This type responds to Vetoryl.

Another type is where a larger tumor grows on the pititary gland. It also causes the adrenal glands to be overactive, and also responds to Vetoryl, but it can put pressure on the brain, causing things like blindness, and forgetting to be housetrained. If this is happening, it may be difficult to stop the housesoiling. Was she always well housetrained until now?

I would consider doing a urinalysis to be sure she does not have a bladder infection. She may be urinating excessively from that, and a course of antibiotics might help if she does.

Is her poop normal, or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
she was always house trained until now. The veg said she had a small tumor on the adrenal gland but she is now blind I am having problems with soiling the house we had a urinalysis which was normal and her poop is also normal
Expert:  Rebecca replied 15 days ago.

This change in her not being housetrained, and her blindness may be related. If she is blind, getting outside may be more difficult or scary. And, if she has a brain tumor, on the pituitary gland or in another area of her brain, she may not be able to help herself.

You would have to do an MRI to see if she has a problem in her brain or pituitary gland.

I would consider confining her in a pen with absorbent pads when you are not with her, so she can't soil in the house, or consider diapers if she is losing control of her urination and defecation.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 15 days ago.

I hope you saw my last response; I have not heard back from you. Let me know if you have more questions and if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 13 days ago.

How is Sohia?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?