Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

One of my Beagle's ears will not heal. We have put a cone on

Customer Question

one of my Beagle's ears will not heal. We have put a cone on her head for a few weeks and have sprayed Vetricin in the ear to help it heal but it won't. now it is kind of a soft bloody paste that is there and it stinks. Is there something you would recommend?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: Betsy
JA: How old is Betsy?
Customer: 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Betsy?
Customer: No. I think that is about it for now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Betsy. Non-healing wounds are infected, neoplastic (cancerous), or both. In either case you'll need Betsy's vet to examine the bleeding site. If infection is present both a topical and systemic antibiotic might be prescribed. If a cancer is present, the possibility of surgical removal of that cancer will be discussed with you.

Can you upload a photo(s) of the bleeding area to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ You'll need to thoroughly irrigate the area with an over the counter ear cleanser or saline in order to remove that bloody paste so I can get a good look at the underlying skin.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your guidance. I think I will go ahead and take her into the vet.Jim

You're quite welcome, Jim. That would be best. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?