Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I have a two year old Bichon who is chewing and scratching

Customer Question

I have a two year old Bichon who is chewing and scratching her leg and nose. She gets sores from scratching. Lots of hair loss. Our house has been in turmoil with a carpet put in with furniture being moved out. Wonder if the anxiety would cause this flair up?.
I have tried different dog foods thinking it might be food allergies. I know dog snacks irritate her so don't give them. What dog food is recommended? Been spraying her legs with an anti itch spray . It helps but not solving the problem . Any suggestions?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 20 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it appears that your gal is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.

For now , follow these instructions:

Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

I would recommend that you feed your gal a Hypoallergenic dog food...any brand that says "Hypoallergenic" and this may help your gal's condition.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****