Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Discharge from one eye 11 days old sensitivity in area of

Customer Question

discharge from one eye 11 days old sensitivity in area of eye dog is feeding well , began crying several hours ago more or less continually
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: number one
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, it's very difficult for me to assess an eye from afar. Eyes need to be examined hands-on. Eye infection isn't common at 11 days of age; trauma from other pups or the dam is more likely. I would be pleased to take a look at the eye if you could take a very close-up photo of it (you'll need a macro lens) and upload the photo to our conversation. You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

Crying as you've described can indicate pain originating from the eye but also colic. If colicky, the pup can be induced to eliminate by your gently rubbbing a moistened and warmed hand towel in the direction of its chest toward its rear thus mimicking its mother's tongue.