Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

He has really heavy discharge coming out of his ear it looks

Customer Question

He has really heavy discharge coming out of his ear it looks like puss and wax
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tazzy he's 9yrs old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Taz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Taz?
Customer: No he is a Staffy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry Taz has a sore ear.

Ear infections are really common in dogs and often something happens that disrupts the airflow or drainage in the ear and all the bugs normally found on the dogs skin begin to overgrow and cause infection. These infections can be caused by bacteria or yeast or sometimes a combination of the two. It is important that a vet checks the ears as sometimes the cause can be a foreign object stuck in the ear which would need removal and also sometimes the ear drum can be perforated, this means that some regularly used medications shouldn't be used as this can cause problems deep within the ear.

You can try removing some of the discharge with an ear cleaner liquid and some cotton wool which you use to scoop out the fluid. Ideally, Taz should be seen by your vet so the appropriate medication can be dispensed and if needed some painkillers if the ear is particularly sore.

Good luck and I hope he is OK

Dr Dan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You I had a deep clean done for him but within 4 months it came back again..

In that case it maybe worth having the ear swab and the bugs causing the problem identified. Some dogs who have narrow ears canals or allergies will be prone to repeated infections and once this is realised and regular cleaning schedule is needed to keep the ear canal free from wax and debris as well as keeping bacteria/yeasts that normally live on the skin in low number to minimise the risk of future overgrowth and therefore cause infection.

Cheers