Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

I just had the whole question typed out and something

Customer Question

I just had the whole question typed out and something happened to the page that I lost everything I typed. My dog is 8 or 9 years old at most. He was a rescue, we've had him since he was one and a half years old. He is a Bichon Frise or a Bichon poodle cross. He's always been a happy boy and he adored his big brother who went to the Rainbow Bridge last year. He really hasn't been himself since then. Over the last several months I've noticed him panting more in the evening. More recently it's gotten to where he'll pant all night and he will finally settle down and go to sleep. He does sleep quite a bit. He lays around quite lethargically. Tonight I checked his eyes and his gums, his gums are very pale and nothing I do helps him to stop the panting. He finally settled down and is now sound asleep and this is how our nights go. He also has had some gas tonight, which is unusual.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your poodle. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Boagie.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boagie?
Customer: He's more Bichon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had trouble with the site. It would not accept my login credentials.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm in now. Boagie is on a raw diet.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a pic of Boagie.
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry you have noticed this change in Boagie. From what you describe I am concerned that he may be anaemic or possibly have a condition whereby the blood isn't being pumped around the body properly (heart disease). Both conditions cause a reduction in the amount of oxygen reaching the muscles, skin and limbs. This will show as lethargy and pale colouration to the gums.

I would strongly recommend you take Boagie to your vet for a full physical examination and potential blood test to highlight any abnormalities in red blood cell number. Often conditions such as anaemia or heart disease develop slowly so the body can adapt and therefore the dog doesn't appear to be suddenly unwell, it is something they can compensate for initially, but then often all of a sudden they become very ill, very quickly.

Good luck and I hope there isn't anything too serious going on.

Regards

Dr Dan

I also forgot to say that the initial examination and blood testing for anaemia is very simple and straight forward without the need for complex investigations initially.

Regards

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He had an exam 1 year ago and everything was fine. I titer instead of unnecessary vaccines, BUT he got a 3 year rabies shot. Within a few days he was sitting in the corner, acting very peculiar. Within a week, he started having shaking fits, not full blown seizures, but what appeared to be very similar. This would go on for sometimes 30 minutes or more. I give him transfer factor and turmeric and digestive enzymes and a joint supplement with spirulina and other things, and coconut oil, with his food. He's been on this for a long time.

This definitely highlights the need for a veterinary examination. Blood values can change in hours/days so it is distinctly possible that things have changed within 12 months. Vaccinations will have no bearing on his current clinical signs. It certainly sounds as though he is in discomfort and distress and as such should receive veterinary attention.

Good luck

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Dr Dan, we will certainly do that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dr Dan, does Boagie exhibit symptoms of heartworms?