Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I just had the whole question typed out and something

Customer Question

I just had the whole question typed out and something happened to the page that I lost everything I typed. My dog is 8 or 9 years old at most. He was a rescue, we've had him since he was one and a half years old. He is a Bichon Frise or a Bichon poodle cross. He's always been a happy boy and he adored his big brother who went to the Rainbow Bridge last year. He really hasn't been himself since then. Over the last several months I've noticed him panting more in the evening. More recently it's gotten to where he'll pant all night and he will finally settle down and go to sleep. He does sleep quite a bit. He lays around quite lethargically. Tonight I checked his eyes and his gums, his gums are very pale and nothing I do helps him to stop the panting. He finally settled down and is now sound asleep and this is how our nights go. He also has had some gas tonight, which is unusual.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your poodle. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Boagie.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boagie?
Customer: He's more Bichon.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The most important finding is his pale gums. This is an indication of profound anemia. Panting has many possible causes but in Boagie's case he may be attempting to oxygenate himself because he doesn't have enough red blood cells to transport oxygen to his tissues. Other causes of excessive panting include elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity.

Boagie's vet will want to thoroughly examine Boagie at your earliest convenience. Time is of the essence. His symptoms can be life-threatening. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.