Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

My 35 pound dog was a little wobbly when I got home from

Customer Question

My 35 pound dog was a little wobbly when I got home from work today. Doesn't seem to have the coordination that he normally does. I've seen this in him once before when he got into a small ball of hash. The only thing I can see that he could have gotten into today was a wrapper from a nature valley dark chocolate and nut Granola bar. His mouth seems dry, and he's a little bit twitchy when I go to pet him. Recoils as if he was in trouble when I go to pet him. The last time this type of thing happened I took him to the vet to get looked at and he just needed to rest...for 24 hours.. before he got much better. Should I worry or wait and see for this time?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 20 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just a moment...

The symptoms you describe Max to have tonight sound similar to a marijuana exposure. Dogs that eat marijuana can get twitchy, wobbly, and occasionally will leak urine.

Dark chocolate can be toxic for dogs, but his symptoms currently do not fit with chocolate.

It would be wise to watch him very closely tonight....check that his gums are nice and pink, make sure he is breathing normally, and monitor for any vomting, diarrhea, or worsening symptoms. At this point, he sounds stable, but if you have concerns, it never hurts to get him checked out.