Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Dog got scratched by a cat across the nose today. I put a

Customer Question

Hi there, dog got scratched by a cat across the nose today. I put a wet paper towel with a drop of non toxic dishsoap on it, and pressed it against the cut. She licked the area after so I'm hesitant to put any creams on. Is there anything else I can do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Think my message might be confused with another? My dog got scratched by a cat.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: nope, healthy 3 year old dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
P.S. I think it was a cat. I just saw something small and fluffy, and my dog took off after it. Other option could be a rabbit, but I'm guessing a cat.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog got scratched! You did great cleaning the area, I would repeat every 12 hours for a few days until the red turns pink and then taper frequency. If you can apply for 5-10 minutes and minimize licking by holding his mouth shut that would be ideal. I would also avoid putting anything topical on the area

You can also use benadryl 1 mg/ pound to minimize rubbing and licking for a few days every 8 hours to help with the itch but may cause mild sedation. Please also make sure your dog has a current rabies vaccination as a precaution since we cannot definitively say who did this and what their vaccine status is

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 10 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I hope your dog is healing well and my suggestions were helpful to you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!