Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a bernedoodle and his to front paws are angled way

Customer Question

I have a bernedoodle and his to front paws are angled way out like duck footed. He hurt his left one and we took him in and the vet did x-rays and said everything was ok. So he was for a little bit but he jumped off the bed and now he is back to limping. So I don't know what to do if he needs surgery or if there is a way to strengthen it. I am really worried he is a service dog for PTSD so I need him any ideas what to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Nope he is a very active dog
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. You've described angular limb deformities which are due to premature closure of a physis (growth plate in the bone(s)). This most commonly occurs in a forelimb, with radial or ulnar physeal closures. The diagnosis of premature closure of a physis leading to an angular limb deformity is suspected in a young dog with a shortened or angularly deformed limb and confirmed on X-rays. Advanced testing in the form of CT may be requested by a specialist veterinary orthopedic surgeon who might need to further define the limb deformation and joint congruency. Surgical treatment aims to restore joint congruity, normalize limb length, and correct angular and rotational deformities. There is no manner in which to "strengthen" these legs without surgical intervention.

Please consider having your dog attended to by such a surgeon to whom he can be referred by his regular vet or found here:

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
surgery is more than likely what will fix the problem for good?

Yes, but I must defer to the surgeon who has the luxury of reviewing X-rays and CT and who then can fully describe to you what can be done and what your dog's prognosis is. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much big help I appreciate it

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?