Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog just a feminine pad and I'm not sure if I should

Customer Question

My dog just a feminine pad and I'm not sure if I should induce vomiting or let is pass
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yes he ate a feminine pad
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bodie and he's 5months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bodie?
Customer: No. He's acting fine and no health issues
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. If I have a dog at my ER that comes in that has just eaten a feminine pad, I will discuss the pro's and cons of trying to induce vomiting to bring it up. I like to try and get these dogs to vomit as if they bring it up, then the problem is typically resolved. There is no "wait and see if it causes a blockage that could potentially need surgery". Inducing vomiting can be productive to bring things like this up. I don't like to try and induce vomiting with sharp or irregular / firm objects that might get stuck in the esophagus. A feminine pad shouldn't get stuck in the esophagus.