Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Ate one dryer sheet from package, Stevie age six beagle 30

Customer Question

Ate one dryer sheet from package
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stevie age six beagle 30 pounds should she vomit or leave it alone and watch her ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the beagle?
Customer: General good health
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 16 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the sheet?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Right now
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 16 days ago.

It was new, correct?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 16 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 16 days ago.

Friend, the dryer sheets generally have detergents and can be corrosive to the gastrointestinal tract. The fact that this is a new sheet I would not induce vomiting because the detergent can damage the esophagus making matters worse. Had it been a used sheet I probably would induce vomiting. In this case, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to bind the sheet and help pass it in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check her feces for the next 48 hours for the sheet. If you do not see the sheet in the feces I would have her checked by your family vet for x-rays.

4- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into the regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter