Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has a limp on her front right paw. She's had it for

Customer Question

My dog has a limp on her front right paw. She's had it for about a month now but she's still running around and playing and doesn't seem like she's in pain. I took some ace wrap and wrapped it around the top of her paw and not its really really swollen. Should we wait for the swelling to go down or take her to the vet? Anything we can do to help her limp?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 16 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bella. I think there may have been a spell check / auto correct help in your post. The paw is "now really, really swollen"? Have you taken off the ace wrap at this time? Can you take a picture of it and post it for me to see it?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have removed the wrap because her paw was very swollen. Here is a picture
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 16 days ago.

How long ago was the wrap removed? How long was it on?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The wrap was on for about 4 hours and it's been off for almost an hour
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 16 days ago.

Is she putting much weight on that paw at this time? When she's playing, is she walking on it pretty well?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Right now she's just laying down. I don't think she's gonna run around on it right now. Before I put the wrap on her paw she had a limp. Should I be worried about the swelling?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 16 days ago.

The swelling is something that more than likely isn't something to be overly worried about. When a paw is wrapped, it can be wrapped tight enough to restrict lymphatic drainage and blood flow and it can cause swelling distal to it. This is why I typically don't recommend an owner wrapping a leg as more than likely it will be on too tight and cause distal swelling. Most of the time, the swelling itself will resolve on its own once the restriction is removed. It can take a few hours or so to have this happen. I did notice that the right paw had some redness to the interdigital region and she may have a secondary skin infection there. What would be a good idea is to have your vet check her over to see if that needs specific therapy and then to determine why she's limping and what can be done to help that out.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How long would you say it takes for the swelling to go down? After a certain amount of time, should we take her to the vet?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 16 days ago.

Swelling to the paw can happen even when a wrap is put on a paw by a veterinarian or a technician. At my ER, sometimes a paw will swell when a catheter in the leg is placed and the bandage for it is on too tight. Typically the swelling goes down in about 2-6 hours. I wouldn't necessarily say that the swelling seems to need the vet but more so the fact that she's been limping on that leg for this long. That needs to be figured out.