Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

8 month old rat terrier ears really red and loosing hair at

Customer Question

8 month old rat terrier ears really red and loosing hair at back of ears and top of head near ears now around eyes no other symptoms seems very healthy and active
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Robert, Can you upload a photo(s) of these areas to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I'm concerned that the redness and hair loss in those areas represents demodectic mange ("red mange").

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can not send picture what do I need to do meds or

I understand. It's best to confirm the diagnosis by having Jack's vet skin scrape Jack looking for the mites. Once diagnosed you can elect not to treat because most cases of juvenile demodicosis will remiss unaided within a few months. If treatment is recommended by a vet, it can consist of oral daily ivermectin or a new oral drug called Bravecto which lasts for 3 months after just one dose. These can be dispensed by Jack's vet. Because Jack is a small dog, an over the counter tick collar containing amitraz may be effective. The Preventic collar (and generics) contain amitraz and can be found in many pet/feed stores.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?