Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

My dog ate a hand warmer packet and now he's throwing up

Customer Question

my dog ate a hand warmer packet and now he's throwing up black liquid...looks like tar
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kinye...corgi...9 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kinye?
Customer: I don't have the ingredients for the packet
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 20 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog!

I would definitely recommend getting him to your vet or an emergency vet if yours is closed right away. We worry when we see dogs with vomit that is dark and black in color about bleeding in the digestive tract. Some of these hand warmers also contain iron, which can be toxic at certain levels. The safest thing for your dog would be to seek veterinary care right away. If you have some of the vomit still, you can bring it with you so they can examine it and see if they feel there is GI bleeding present. They can give your dog medications to help stop the vomiting and help with possible GI bleeding, and may recommend IV fluids or activated charcoal to try to decrease potential toxic effects of the iron in the hand warmer.

Expert:  Jess K replied 15 days ago.

Just checking in to see how your dog is doing?