Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog, like clock work, has a bowel movement every morning.

Customer Question

My dog, like clock work, has a bowel movement every morning. It has been 5 hours today and nothing. He ate well yestuday so its not that there is nothing to pass. Help.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with Benny. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he trying to go?

2- Did he eat anything out of the ordinary?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
1) NO he is not trying
2) Not that I am aware of but he is a puppy and they pick up everything
3) no symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 16 days ago.

Janet, it is possible he could be constipated. This is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

2- Add 2-3 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food.

3- As a stool softener, you can give a 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 12-24 hours or Mineral oil 2 to 3 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above, I would have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter