Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Toy Poodle ate two Equalactin 500mg pills

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

This product contains polycarbophil which increases water content of ingesta in the gastrointestinal tract, but is not a stimulant. So it won't induce cramping or diarrhea, but it will increase stool size, amount and water content in the stools.

The concern about two 500mg capsules in such a small dog is that this could lead to serious dehydration as water is pulled into the intestines.

Did she just eat these (within the past 1-2 hours)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a half hour ago
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Given the effects and since it has been less than 2 hours I would induce vomiting to try and get at least some of the medication out.

Induce vomiting by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide fizzing.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once more.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.

Once she clears his stomach to try and settle her stomach today you can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. I would use one of these for the next 2-3 days or so to try and help her stomach heal after irritation from the peroxide.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

If you don't have peroxide you have the option of taking her to a veterinary clinic to induce vomiting or taking a watch and see approach and pushing large amounts of fluids while feeding a bland diet consisting of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add warm water or low salt broth to each meal to increase fluid intake.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry I see that you have requested a phone call and I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can ask any follow up questions via this communication and I'll be happy to respond.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Are you still with me?

Can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****