Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My friends have a 9-year old male Labrador. Recently he has

Customer Question

My friends have a 9-year old male Labrador. Recently he has gotten a bag of dog treats off the middle of the dining table and eaten all of them, then he managed to get a bag of dog food off the cupboard and ate the entire bag of food, yesterday he managed to get a cupboard door open, tore the trash bag all over the kitchen floor and ate - again - the entire bag of dog food that had been "hidden" behind it. It's not because he's hungry because he has a good layer of fat all over his body. Do you have any suggestions as to this erratic behavior?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 14 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about this lab's issues!!! Unfortunately, in certain dogs and breeds (labs in particular), this can be a regular problem! Is this dog a regular stealer of food, or is this a totally unusual/new behavior for him?