Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

I'm trying to figure out if our puppy broke his leg of if

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to figure out if our puppy broke his leg of if it's just bruised, I've talked to all the vets in our area and the cost for the exam and x-rays are just too much for us right now. His back leg is swollen and now he has a small red bruise on his leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there is not wound, I heard him screeching outside yesterday and I found him with his leg caught between some boards on our porch
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cricket he's a Yorkie poo Dodson mix and he's a little over 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yorkie?
Customer: No not that I can think of, other than for now he refuses to put weight on the leg, but unless he does that he's not in any pain, hes eating normally and still uses the bathroom fine
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 21 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you.

From what you are describing, there is a possibility that he could have broken the leg. A fractured bone can be severe (where the bone is at an obvious angle or even has bone sticking out of the skin) or a green stick fracture (where only one side of the bone is broken and it is not obviously displaced). If Cricket just had a soft tissue injury, I would expect him to start using the leg within a few hours of the accident. The fact that he is not using it this morning points more towards a fracture. If you can post a picture of the leg that would be helpful. The good news, is that a puppy of this age will heal very quickly (6 weeks or less) with really restricted activity. He should be crated when not directly supervised. No running, jumping or playing for at least 6 weeks. Please take time to rate my response. You can ask follow up questions on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating. Take care.