Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 14 yr old dog has a tumor on her spleen is there any way

Customer Question

My 14 yr old dog has a tumor on her spleen is there any way to shrink it? What foods should I feed her? She is anemic. I have been feeding her protein foods red meat chic***** *****ver and giving her b12 krill oil vitamin c milk whistle and probiotic
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 21 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog. Unfortunately there is not a way to shrink a splenic tumor. The only effective treatment is to remove the spleen itself. I am assuming that your dog had an ultrasound and that is how they know there is a tumor on the spleen? Was there evidence of tumor elsewhere in the body? If not, a splenectomy would be advised as some of these tumors are benign and once removed the dog can live out the rest of their life with no concern for tumor spread. Unfortunately some of the tumors are the malignant sort (called hemangiosarcoma) and have spread elsewhere in the body by the time we find them. If your dog is anemic, I would be very concerned that the tumor is bleeding and this is likely to continue and unfortunately can get abruptly worse (oftentimes these guys present to us on emergency due to the spleen bleeding profusely in a very short time). I am attaching a link to an article on splenic tumors in dogs FYI: Unfortunately a change in diet is not going to get rid of or even shrink the tumor, or stop the bleeding if it is present.