Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog is constantly doing the licking motion with his

Customer Question

my dog is constantly doing the licking motion with his tongue?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

Licking the air repeatedly is either a sign of nausea or irritation to the oral cavity. If the mouth is irritated, you should be able to see evidence of this by looking for swelling, sores or inflammation (dark red gums). More commonly, this is a sign of nausea. Nausea is typically caused by a dietary indiscretion (plant ingestion or foreign material), high fat intake (pancreatitis), disease (liver or kidney disease), or infections. If your dog is acting fine otherwise, then it is reasonable to do a trial with famotidine (pepcid) to see response. You can give Pepcid AC 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight by mouth every 24 hours to see if the licking stops. If it does, then continue for two weeks. Also, make sure that you are not feeding a high fat diet or giving high fat treats. If you have noted other potential issues, such as loss of appetite, weight loss or changes in urinating/defecating, then you should take your dog to your local veterinarian for an examination and potentially bloodwork. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue to post questions on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take Care.