Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

We just got a puppy and it has whitish worms in its stool

Customer Question

We just got a puppy and it has whitish worms in its stool that are alive. I'm concerned about the puppy, our other animals and most importantly my kids who have been letting the puppy like their faces.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: We just got her and she has not had any shots yet. She feels very warm - fever? She seems happy and chipper though.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Congratulations on the new addition to the house. Did this worm look like a small piece of spaghetti? Or like a little rice segment?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Longer than rice but more than one.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

If it looked more like a small piece of spaghetti, then a roundworm would be very suspect. These are very, very, very common with new puppies. They can get them from mom by nursing if she has them or from the environment they were in. The actual worms themselves are just adults that are being passed. There are eggs in the feces that are going to be infective to people and dogs here in about a month. The best thing that you can do is to pick up all stools immediately as it takes about a month for the eggs to mature to become infective. Taking her to your vet tomorrow would be a very good idea! They can do a stool sample to see what specific parasites are there and then to deworm her. They can also get her started on her vaccines. Could this be a tapeworm from eating a flea? Those adult worms look more rice like. Here is a good link on roundworms.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok. Definitely more like rice. We are planning to see the vet tomorrow. Do I need to worry about the kids who have been playing with the puppy and leering it like their faces?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

If it is more like rice, then tapeworm segments are most suspect. This will sound gross, but your kids could directly eat one of the segments and not be at risk. The eggs in that proglottid segment aren't infective to people. They need a secondary host to become infective. Most likely the puppy got them from eating a flea. So, flea control will be a big subject with that vet visit.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

Here is a great link on the most common tapeworm of dogs. The life cycle has the flea eggs eaten by flea larvae, so the only way people can be infected is if they actually eat a flea.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 18 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?