Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just lost my dog. His spleen burst and had tumor all over.

Customer Question

I just lost my dog. His spleen burst and had tumor all over. We put him to slee . What can we as family do now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy-shitzu
JA: How old is Buddy-shitzu?
Customer: Buddy shit zu
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy-shitzu?
Customer: He was healthy . The vet though said he had cancer and the spleen burst . What would cause that ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so very sorry to hear about Buddy. Unfortunately, this is a scenario that happens more often than we would like in veterinary medicine. The most common type of cancer found on the spleen is one called hemangiosarcoma. Oftentimes, a dog may be acting normally and an owner may have no idea that the pet is ill until either the tumor gets very large, or more likely, starts bleeding. In some cases the bleeding can become excessive and in many of the cases with this type of cancer, we can have metastases, or spread of the cancer to other organs.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Here is an article that talks in depth about splenic masses FYI: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1394