Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 2 year old Treeing Coonhound. Ever since we gave

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old Treeing Walker Coonhound. Ever since we gave him his heartworm medication and his flea and tick medication at the beginning of the month he's had some slight problems. Although we did not know it at the time he has been bleeding from his anus just a few drops of blood here and there. The medication also produced a foul-smelling odor from his body. My husband gave him a bath the other Runaway. We changed his dog food. And he threw up a few days. We thought that this was due to the change and he seemed fine. There was some bleeding from his anus.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this guy's situation. What is his name? How long ago was his last vomiting episode? What have his last stools looked like?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He threw up about 5 hours ago. It look like bile mixed with some kind of solid food. His stools are loose and watery kind of like diarrhea. His name is***** husband seems to think all of this stems from his heartworm medication that we gave them at the being of the month. Right after receiving this month though said she had a really bad smell. And we noticed the anal bleeding. But we thought it was dirt that he was bringing in from the outside he has a Patty lays on.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry pad...not patty
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Sometimes the spell check helps and sometimes it gives some weird additions. :)

I like that name. I'm not set up for a phone call at this time and can continue by these means if that is ok. How many days ago was the heart worm medication and flea medication given? What specific product was it? Was the first month he's ever had it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was hoping you could call. Dr.Bruce please call my husband, Mr. Proctor at the number listed on our account. Thanks. I feel we could explain this better if we talk.

I will opt out to see if another expert can fulfill that request. Again, I'm not set up for that. I'll opt out and see if one can pick up the question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Umm. Ok. No, phone call ok. Umm his last dose was 25 day ago it is heartguard plus and next guard. The HG IS 227/mg and the nextguard is 3 m
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll follow up for my colleague, Dr. Bruce. To answer you directly, there are quite a few causes of hematochezia (blood in his stool or from his anus) but an adverse reaction to either Heartguard Plus or NexGuard wouldn't be one of them. In most cases, I'll find an anal sac impaction, sacculitis, or abscess. This is easily determined by having his vet express the anal sac glands. Supportive evidence of anal sac involvement includes "scooting" behavior, licking and chewing at the hind end, and the foul odor you've noticed. Other causes include:

Perianal fistula - German shepherds are predisposed

Neoplasia - more common in older dogs

Perianal hernia - swelling would be noted in the perineum

Anal stricture - diagnosed by digital palpation

Trauma - should be a history of such trauma

Proctitis (inflammation of the rectum and anus) - tenesmus (straining to defecate) would be likely

Colitis - a common cause of hematochezia

Coagulation disorder - an uncommon cause of hematochezia; the drugs you mentioned aren't known to cause coagulation defects

Rectal prolapse - would be evident upon examination.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.