Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog has been breathing loud for a few days. She is 9 yes

Customer Question

My dog has been breathing loud for a few days. She is 9 yes old. She's just been standing here staring blankly for about an hour. Shell lay down but get up. She's been very clingy too. We played at the park and that seemed normal earlier. When she exhales she slightly shakes if u look close. She pooped twice and they were normal today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jetta
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jetta?
Customer: Last week my gf said jetta kinda plopped on her like she was dizzy as she walked by. The breathing has been loud for about 5 days
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Breed?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she walking any different?

6- Any other symptoms?

7- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I wouldn't say she's lethargic. She ran around the dog park and was happy walking earlier. She's a black shepherd mix. Her gums have black pigment so its hard to tell. Her stool is normal and no diahrea or throwing up. Her nose is runny. When she breathes out its like she has to breathe harder to exhale so whole body kinda pushes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She has allergies sometimes I have to give her zyrtec if she starts getting ear infections or licking her paw too much.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. If you get a notice for a phone call I will not be able to do a phone call, I am sorry. But, I will have an answer for you shortly. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

I am sorry that Jetta is having breathing issues. In response to your question, the way that you describe how Jetta is breathing is consistent with lower airway disease. Meaning, diseases that affect the lungs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are infections, bronchitis, heart disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that she had an episode of being dizzy with your girlfriend further supports the possibility of an underlying heart or lung disease. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. There is nothing that I can recommend that you can try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit. Jetta needs to see a veterinarian to auscultate her lungs and heart. In addition, she may need x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If you have access to ER veterinarian I would have her checked tonight, important to rule out heart disease. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also I just tried to open her mouth to look at gums and give her an allergy pill and she Faught me more so absolutely refusing to open her mouth up
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

Do not force her to give her the pill. If she is having difficulty breathing this could make it worse.

Please reply if you have additional questions.