Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She had a tic on her lst night and I pulled it off. she

Customer Question

she had a tic on her lst night and I pulled it off. she seems a bit wobbly on the legs this morning. not badly but a bit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dora 4yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dora?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

We do have "paralysis ticks" that can cause an acute, rapidly progressive generalized flaccid (a part of the body soft and hanging loosely or limp) paralysis. In Australia these ticks are members of the genus Ixodes. Generally there's a history of hindlimb and then forelimb stiff gait, progressing to flaccid paralysis. Mentation (mental status), behavior, and the ability to urinate and defecate remain normal. Tick removal is both diagnostic and therapeutic; additional therapy, if necessary, consists of supportive care until clinical signs resolve. Be sure that you removed the tick head since the toxin resides in the salivary glands. Check Dora for other ticks. Her prognosis is guarded if there are others; dogs can be lost to this toxin. The recovery period can be variable and return to function will be gradual. In most cases, however, a full recovery is attainable.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I was told dunking her in cold water helps. Is this true?

No, there's no mechanism for cold water to help these dogs. There's a hyperimmune serum that her vet is likely to have and which can prevent further progression of paralysis. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Dora seems to be going well. she is acting normal except now she can't jump up. She was always jumping up on the lounge and beds but she doesn't seem to be able to. Would this just be a weakness in her legs and will it improve? She is running and walking fine.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 18 days ago.

I believe that her hind legs are still recovering. Remember, the recovery period can be variable. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.