Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I have a 9 day pup constenly criing and not feeding for the

Customer Question

Hi I have a 9 day pup constenly criing and not feeding for the last few hours I live in the out back of news
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. Can you tell me a bit more about what is going on. Was the puppy healthy and normal before today? Gaining weight normally? Any diarrhea? Is his belly distended at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he was feeding normal and he just keep on crying I pick him up and started to gently rub his tummy it helped a bit but keeps crying
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We don't have a local vet where I live they are five hours drive away
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could I give the pup some caster oil would that help it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Was gaining weight but not now and no diarrhoea

It is really hard to know what might be going on without a good exam and some X-rays or ultrasound, but puppies can develop twists in their intestine. This is particularly a problem if they have had diarrhea. There is very little that you can to to help with this short of surgery. However, they can get belly pain from gas in their intestine also. I wouldn't use caster oil. I would keep massaging his belly. If he is not eating he is at risk of low blood sugar. You can take a finger full of Karo's syrup (or any sugary syrup) and put it in his mouth every 6 hours. Also, puppies intestines don't work well if they are cold so make sure he is warm enough. I also know that you can use a bit of Gas X, but give me a minute to find a dose...

If you get the soft gels you can use a drop every 4 hours of the gas x in a tiny puppy. Also, I looked up the castor oil and a drop of that every 4 hours would be fine too as long as the puppy doesn't have diarrhea.

If it's not helping then I would recommend taking him to a veterinarian because he could have a twist in his intestine and nothing short of surgery helps with that.

Please let me know if I can help more.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your time I will give him a drop of caster oil and see how he goes as a said a vet is five hours away by car

Best wishes. And defiantly try to keep him warm!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would honey be also ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For the sugar level

Yes, honey would be fine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I will try them both now thank you and I will keep him warm

Sick puppies are stressful. Do what you can do for him.... that all anyone can do. I hope it goes well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you again