Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Why does my dog lick her feet till they are pink & tender

Customer Question

Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Sweeti Pi's situation. What medication was she given as far as the allergy pills? Has your vet seen her for this?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
she has seen a Vet. 25mg allergy pills
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

I'm not currently set up for a phone call at this time. I would be glad to help by these means if that is ok? Do you know what the allergy pill was specifically?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, runny nose, itchy throat. I could not find one for feet licking. My vet said one of these a day could work. Diphenhydramine HCI,25 mg, Anthihistamine. I don't have a lot of money, Paying $28.00 for this is a lot for me.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

Thanks for that information. The diphenhydramine is a very good antihistamine. It can work ok for some with allergies. Anytime I have a dog come into my clinic that is licking their paws, allergies are the number one cause. She could have an environmental allergy called atopy. The other possible allergy situation is food related. Most of the time atopy is the issue. In those that aren't getting relief from the antihistamine, they may be given a trial of steroids to see what the response to that is. Steroids are pretty safe and effective for atopy. You should talk to your vet to see if they would consider this. Here is a good link on it.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I forgot about the Steroids pills & shot it did not help. I have been on line trying to find help. If you don't have something new can I have my money back? You would not believe the money I have already spent, I am now in debt over this.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

Allergies are definitely expensive and time consuming in some cases. I can't underestimate that. There are newer medications to try such as Apoquel that you can talk to your vet about. Allergy testing and hyposensitization shots can be tried too.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
You are right, my vet offered these. I can not afford this treatment, because it would be ongoing. I was hoping you could offer something new I could do. Please give me a refund.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

Unfortunately, your vet is doing a good job and I can't really throw anything else into the mix that isn't more expensive. I'll send your to the moderator to help with a refund.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
When will this happen? do I wait or will he email me?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Dear sir, you said. I could talk to a vet. The vet I was texting said he was not set up to take calls. He did not offer anything new. I want my MONEY Refunded!!!