Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

Our 2 daschunds are scratching so bad they are bleeding..we

Customer Question

our 2 daschunds are scratching so bad they are bleeding..we went to vet two weeks ago and he gave them a cortisone shot but no
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: daschunds
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes our little doxies
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the's name and age?
Customer: Duke is 8 yoa and DJ is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?
Customer: he has treated him all his life he knows that he has very dry skin..he gave them a 24 hr p.ll and then monthly pill for fleas...fleas are gone but their skin is horrible..we have used all kinds of oils and loitions...we used hot spot, antifungal, and vitamin e
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 20 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your two Dachshunds have really itchy skin that has been treated with steroids but the skin is not improving. I would very much like to take a look at the skin to enable me to give you a good recommendation here for their care.

Can you please upload a photo using the icon provided on your screen so that I can take a look? It should be labeled "Add photo/attachment" or "Add file". Let me know if you have any trouble finding it and I can direct you to customer service for assistance. I will await your photo upload. Thank you

- Dr. H

Also while you are uploading the photo, I have to ask.

Did the vet do any type of skin testing, such as a skin scrape?

Did the cortisone shot make their itching worse, better, or is it the same?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
no he didn't do any skin testing...cortisone seemed about same
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I have close up pics on my phone but not sure how to send

Ok you would have to email the picture to yourself, save it to your computer, and then use the icon to upload it the chat. I can't really walk you through this since I am no tech expert; however here is the customer service link that may be able to assist you further.

I will say this even though I don't have a visual of the skin right now.

The fact that both pets have this condition and it did not really respond to steroids, suggests that they have a infectious disease process and definitely need to get two tests done:

1) Skin scrape- to rule out a mite infestation

2) Fungal culture- to rule out a ringworm infection

The problem is probably not fleas since they have been treated for that with no improvement of the skin.

- Dr. H

Hi again. I am just checking back with you to see if you are having any luck with the photos? I know this can take some time so no rush, I can continue to remain on standby if needed.

Hi checking in again. Do you have any questions about my recommendations so far?

I see you weren't able to upload the photos.

- Dr. H

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 18 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?