Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has a slight discharge from the rectum that looks like

Customer Question

he has a slight discharge from the rectum that looks like the diaper rash med desitin. he just got over a possible poisoning from eating a field mouse treated with antibiotics.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: half a field mouse
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: he was pretty sick was on an IV and strict diet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If you're referring to the white appearance of the zinc oxide-containing Desitin, you're likely to be seeing a type of anal sac gland exudate that occasionally forms instead of the usual brown exudate. The significance of that white color is unclear but I do see it in normal dogs. We do see white feces in association with hepatobiliary dysfunction due to a lack of formation and/or release of bile into the GI tract. Bile is metabolized into stercobilinogen which gives feces its characteristic brown/black color.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?