Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a large dog (100#) with an abcess that ruptured. We

Customer Question

I have a large dog (100#) with an abcess that ruptured. We cleaned and flushed with a mild chlorihexidrine solution. I have smz/tmp 800/160s. Trying to find doseage
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zaire. Kuvasz. 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zaire?
Customer: Livestock guardian dog, cannot be brought to vet without extreme sedation
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, a 100lb (45.45kg) would only be given a dose between 1.3-5 tablets once daily. You could split that total over 2 doses if you wished to but this is an antibiotic that can be given once daily. That said, it is only moderate for skin based issues and abscesses. Therefore, if you used this for 5-7 days and the infection didn't settle, then you'd need to have a word with his vet about their dispensing a better option (which they may be amenable to do with his temperament) or they may have to dispense sedation for you to give to then safely transport him for examination and culture of the bacterial infection present.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!:

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.
Hi Twila,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.