Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

What is correct dosage for methacarbamol for 60 pound dog

Customer Question

What is correct dosage for methacarbamol for 60 pound dog that has soar back. No other health problems. Thinking of combining with prednisone 15mg. Does this seems ok. Also how often can you spray dog with pyretherin for fleas. Not sure if it washes off during bathes. Thanks
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

You can learn more about methocarbomol here: including the dosage of 20-30 mg per pound of pet's body weight every 8-12 hours for first day, then 10-30 mg per pound every 8-12 hours, thereafter.

If you are not using a single dosage of flea prevention like advantage, advantix, frontline, comfortis, bravecto, etc. This is likely why you are seeing recurrent flea issues. The pyrethrin spray should have a dosing schedule on the bottle which is typically every few days and it is often washed off with any type of water/soap exposure. If this dog is one that swims or likes to play in the water, an oral prevention would be more useful like Comfortis, nexgard, bravecto, etc.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I did see that mg suggestion when searching for answers. 1200 mg Methacarbamol seemed like a lot. Would you recommend that once or twice a day and for how long. Also what about the predisone of 15 mg. would you break that dosage into 2 doses or the whole dose at once.

You can certainly use a lower dose and work your way up to a higher dose, if needed. I would start at once a day and see how she responds. If she needs more, go to twice daily. I would use the methocarbomol before the steroids to see if she improves without steroids. There are inherent risks that come with giving steroids and methocarbomol risk is much lower. If she is not improved in 24-48 hours, message me back here and I'll walk you through adding the prednisone.