Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog sounds as if he is an old man trying to clear phlem

Customer Question

My dog sounds as if he is an old man trying to clear phlem from his lungs. he shudders as if he is going to throw up. but doesn't. i am concerned that he has a lung infection. he does this when he gets excited.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: he is a large 9-year-old goldendoodle
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 17 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How long has this been going on?

Is he actually coughing and then retching?

Has he been examined by your veterinarian yet for this?

Has he had xrays of his upper airways and chest?

Does he breath normally at rest?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.