Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is on Rimadyl and now she is having seizures. Is it ok

Customer Question

She is on Rimadyl and now she is having seizures. Is it ok to give her diazepam?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Baby 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?
Customer: waiting on tests done for problems breathing. Lungs looked bad on xray. Also she cannot walk on her right side.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Baby. Diazepam can be useful as a "helper" anticonvulsive drug; in other words, in conjunction with an anticonvulsive drug such as phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or zonisamide. It's also given rectally when a patient has a "break through" seizure in spite of being given one of those anticonvulsive drugs. Dosing is usually initiated at 0.25 mg/lb but when given intravenously large amounts are often dosed until seizure activity abates. It's not a primary anticonvulsive, however, and so not expected to be completely effective when given orally as the sole anticonvulsive drug.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, I had the Diazepam for my other dog and I am waiting to take her to the Dr. Just wanted to know if it will hurt to give it to her before we go.

It's a very safe and well-tolerated drug. It could potentially confound her vet's examination of her, however, because she's likely to become quite sedate. If that's not an issue, I see no problem with dosing Baby with it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Salkin

You're quite welcome. My best to Baby.