Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog (a 6 month old pitbull) has been throwing up for the

Customer Question

Hi, my dog (a 6 month old pitbull) has been throwing up for the last 3 days and won't eat anything. She has been on a raw diet for most of her life and when it initially started she threw up most of the chicken she just had(chicken quarter). Since then she has been lethargic and refuses to eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

At 3 days of vomiting, it would be ideal to have her examined, diagnostics and symptomatic treatment started. Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. Avoid a raw diet at this time. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the raw diet that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you think is wrong with her?

In dogs this young, it can be anything from intestinal parasites to parvo to a gastric blockage to a simple upset stomach. The vomiting persisting past 24 hours becomes concerning because she can dehydrate quickly. Diagnostics such as a fecal, blood work, x-rays and parvo test may be indicated to tell you what the problem is. Bully breeds, especially pitbulls, are prone to weak immune systems longer than most breeds so even with a good history of vaccines, she may still have acquired something preventable despite vaccines. The only way to know is to have her examined and diagnostics performed.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?