Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I tipped the fluid from defrosted raw chicken and my dog has

Customer Question

I tipped the fluid from defrosted raw chicken and my dog has licked it up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is called Pippy and is 6yrs old spaniel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pippy?
Customer: Fit n healthy had all the vaccine boosters over last 3weeks
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

While this isn't ideal for Pippy to have, the risk of harm is low. If anything we could see some short term GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea). Therefore, we'd just want to rinse her mouth and plan to offset any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Zantac (More Info/Dose @ If needed, we usually give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )