Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 8 year old dog has been struggling (on and off) for about

Customer Question

Hello. My 8 year old dog has been struggling (on and off) for about 2 1/2 weeks with constipation and diarrhea. I have been giving her Pepcid AC 20mg 1x/day as directed by a Veterinarian. My dog is also having the occasional (3-4 days over 2 weeks) bouts of noisy-digestive sounds. She also seems to be quite uncomfortable. I switched her food a bit too fast about 2 1/2 weeks ago, which I initially thought was the cause. It still may be, but I can't seem to find the right food to stabilize her digestion. I am also at odds with what I may be able to give her to help her feel more comfortable. I read that the Pepcid AC can cause constipation if given over longer periods of time. Maybe there is another solution?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily. I have dogs on this longterm without incident and have never seen constipation as a result of chronic use of an antacid
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Once the stools are regular again then you can slowly introduce a new diet to Daisy. This should be a high quality no by product formula and preferably a lamb and rice or something that states for sensitive stomachs if you are able. Unfortunately in some of these situations they have developed clostridial enteritis which will require an antibiotic prescription to resolve but hopefully the bland bulking diet will help with constipation as well as diarrhea and get her regular again

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 15 minutes this evening. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Dr. Altman,Thank you for your response. This information is primarily what I got the last time I was on just answer. I realize there's only so much you can do given this is an online service, but I do have some specific questions and am seeking some further advice. Since you are only online for another 15 minutes, would it be possible for you to transfer me to another Vet that I can speak over the phone with?

You can request a telephone call, unfortunately the question did not state that was something you were seeking... I will opt out and best wishes to you both

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No problem. I didn't realize that I needed to provide that in my question - I am new to this site. Do you have time for a phone call?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Dr. Altman,
I was never connected to another Veterinarian per our agreement as of Tuesday, October 4th. Please let me know how this issue will be resolved, as soon as possible.Thank you -