Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog ate a peach pit. What is the danger?

Customer Question

my dog ate a peach pit. What is the danger?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does Copper weigh?

2- How long has it been since he swallowed the pit?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
about 22 lbs
20 miniutes22 lbs30 minutes
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Don, the main concern would be the pit becoming obstructed in Copper's gastrointestinal tract. But, it is very likely that he will be able to pass it in the stool without any problems. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the pit out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.

2- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter