Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She is 7 weeks old. Not drinking this evening. Won't eat &

Customer Question

She is 7 weeks old. Not drinking this evening. Won't eat & threw up a little while ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of. She's a ship tzu so she is tiny. She just acts very sleepy
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mocha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mocha?
Customer: The breeder had her on can food and I switched her to blue puppy food. She just threw up again
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I take her to an emergency clinic? She refused to eat or drink. She has been eating her poop so I got the tabs that are supposed to keep her from doing that. She has been taking a 1/2 tab every time she eats. Do you think that could be it? I took her outside for the first time last night & she did chew on some grass. Also, she has a flea that has been harassing her. I can't catch it. I've bathed her in dawn dish liquid but it stays on her head. She's so little I'm afraid to give her anything for fleas. I've never had a dog so I'm a little freaked out at this point
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has Mocha had any veterinary care? Vaccines? Deworming by a vet?
2) How often is she vomiting?
3) Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she was vetted with her Breeder. 1 vaccination & 3 deworming according to the vet records. She just vomited those two times then seemed to feel better. No diarrhea

If she's feeling better, she should begin to drink. If not, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. The change of food may be partially to blame for her nausea. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?