Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Head shaking

Customer Question

head shaking
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Ramone is having issues with his ears! There are two reasons he would be shaking his head without overt evidence of an infection:
- Allergies- this is very common and I personally develop an itchy ear with allergies yet there is no redness. I see this often in pets as well and benadryl can be effective to control the shaking at 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours but may cause mild sedation initially
- Something in the ear for example a grass awn or foreign body that your veterinarian will have to remove

I would advise trying the benadryl first and foremost and see if that controls the symptoms. It is a common result of allergies even if there are no other symptoms and often there is no debris, redness, nor odor

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope he is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 16 days ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Ramone feeling? Did the benadryl help? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 13 days ago.
Hi Gilda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ramone. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman