Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have left my 9 month old staffy at home with my son and

Customer Question

Hi ..I have left my 9 month old staffy at home with my son and girlfriend while I'm away for 5 days ..it's the first time I've ever left him for this long ..will he be OK ..I'm stressing bad about it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If you trust that they are responsible enough to take care of him, chances are that he will be just fine. If he is very attached to you and seems to be an anxious dog, then there is a chance he may not eat as well or even develop diarrhea, but that is not usually life threatening. I would instruct them to take him to the vet if he has diarrhea for more than a couple days, is vomiting, has blood in the stool or is not eating for more than 36 hours. He is a young dog, though, and will most likely bounce back from you being away even if he is a little stressed about it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Jack is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are back but he seems really quite ..not himself
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

That may not be all that abnormal, though. It is not uncommon if they were a little stressed or anxious while you were gone to be somewhat subdued when you get back. It usually doesn't last long, though. If he is still eating and drinking, interacting with you, somewhat active and not having vomiting or diarrhea; it usually just recommend monitoring them and giving them a few days to readjust. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see if Jack was acting any better?