Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog takes Prion 25mg, now wants me to bring dog in for check

Customer Question

dog takes Prion 25mg, now wants me to bring dog in for check up before he will refill rx, can I get these out of USA?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: dog takes Prion 25mg, now wants me to bring dog in for check up before he will refill rx, can I get these out of USA?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he has bladder leakage
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco is 3 yrs. old, fixed female, terrier
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: No she is fine otherwise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Coco. How long has she been on the Proin? Has she been doing well on them as far as it controlling her urinary incontinence?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One year and seems to do fine with Prion..

That is great that she's been doing fine on it! How long ago was she actually last seen by your vet for anything?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
don't want to pay another $28

I'm sorry about the "pop up's" for live phone calls and other offers. I don't have a part of that. I'm actually best able to help by these means.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you have an answer re: PRION

The one question I asked didn't get an answer to it. How long ago was she actually last seen by your vet for anything? Did your vet explain why they wanted to recheck her prior to refiling the medication? As far as a script / refill for the Proin, you have to have a veterinarian write that for you. You can get these medications through on-line pharmacies, but without that it can't be done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I HAVE TO TAKE HER TO VET TO GET RX REFILLED. THANK YOU.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
PLEASE CANCEL FREE FOR 1 WEEK FREE TRIAL

These situations can vary from veterinarian to veterinarian. It is their license that is on the line as far as what they are comfortable with. I've known some vets that will continue to refill medications for years with out having recheck exams done. I've known other veterinarians recommend rechecks every 6 months to a year to make sure things are going well before refilling medications. You can talk to your vet and ask them how often she's going to need rechecks while on the medication. This is something that you can discuss with them. By talking about it, you can hopefully extend it out to the maximum time frame. They have her best health interest at heart.