Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My son's dog has had diarrhea for three days. It is a

Customer Question

My son's dog has had diarrhea for three days. It is a mixture of brownish yellow with some black and mucous. Today he vomited a yellowy mucous with speck of blood. What should I do? He is a doberman/golden retriever mix about 45 pounds. Hestill wants to go out and run but is a bit lethargic otherwise. He is drinking water and has been eating cooked chicken breast and brown rice for two days.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- How long since the last time he vomited?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My son got him a chew bone on Saturday when all this started.He has only vomited once today.My son is away at college, and I am trying to contact him about gum color.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Did he swallow the gum?

2- Is the dog with you or your son?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was no gum. You asked my what color the dogs gums were and I am trying to find out.The dog ia at school with my son.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His gums are light pinkish.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are we still chatting?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry, I got confused thinking about his gums, I meant to say did he swallow the bone?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He did. It was one of those raw bones.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me a few more minutes I am typing your answer. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, the black color in the vomit is digested blood. As your son could see today, he is bleeding the upper gastrointestinal tract, I am sorry. Having a history of eating a bone I would want to rule out the bone being obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. Could there be other causes? Yes. But, given how serious an obstructed bone could be it is important to rule this out. Unfortunately, not much your son will be able to do at home. Enzo will need to see a veterinarian for x-rays as an initial screening test. If the bone is obstructed and Enzo is not treated (surgery) the outcome is likely fatal, I am sorry. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. In the meantime, this is what he can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

Note: If he is going to see a vet in the morning best to leave him without food.

4- Follow up with his family veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays. If cost is a concern look into his local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter