Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog has melanoma in his mouth area. What can I do about

Customer Question

My dog has melanoma in his mouth area. What can I do about itchy, open sores near his nose?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He does not have fleas. I just want to put something on the sores to stop the itching
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He has cancer that is not treatable,
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 23 days ago.

I am so sorry to hear your dog has melanoma in his mouth. Are you doing any treatment for it?

You can apply anti itch ointments containing cortisone such as Cortaid or Cortizone 10. Giving oral anti inflammatory medication such as meloxicam may also help.

If the sores are infected, you can apply Neosporin or Mupirocin ( I prefer mupirocin but it is by prescription only).

Let me know if this helps and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 22 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Can I help with any other questions?