Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Im a dog and when I went to one of the clients, the dog

Customer Question

Im a dog walker and when I went to one of the clients, the dog (LAB) had chewed up and possibly ingested 2 medications. One was a blood pressure med. I gave her 2 cap fuls of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting while waiting for her people to come get her and take her to the vet. The vet said to NOT give hydrogen Peroxide.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: If you are not close to a vet what SHOULD you do? The dog is Lucy a year old and about 75lbs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no, I wanted to know for myself and what I should carry in a first aid kit for future issues. thank you
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 23 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, it does always depend on what has been eaten but as long as the item isn't sharp or caustic, then we would give 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1ml per pound. This can be given up to 3 times 15 minutes apart. Otherwise, if we are past the 2 hour window for inducing vomiting, then activated charcoal (1-4 grams per pound can be used). In this case, I can only assume her vet didn't want vomiting induced with peroxide because they wanted to use injectable Apomorphine but if they weren't available then the above would be indicated and preferable among the "home care" options.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )