Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is a yorkie about 5 1/2 years old. Lately she seems

Customer Question

hi my dog is a yorkie about 5 1/2 years old. Lately she seems to not want to jump at all of the bed or couch like before and she shakes. She wants to be held a lot too. When outside she does run and bark and walk but at home she is different.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have tried and have not seen anything
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cinnamon
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cinnamon?
Customer: no she has been healthy and normal just this started saturday
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Cinnamon has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in yorkies because of their conformation and energy level. Since Cinnamon does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain shown by the shaking and not wanting to jump. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as she is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine your sweet Cinnamon to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****