Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an older beagle about 13 years old - and his

Customer Question

I have an older beagle about 13 years old - and his genitalia area is all swollen and looks like it has dropped down considerably - he is not bothered by it or licking it, eating fine and pee and poop not an issue- he has a high liver function and heart murmur
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Bean
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bean?
Customer: he has fluid sacs on his body including abdomen-
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bean. Is he neutered? Can you take a picture of what you're seeing and post it here with the paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is neutered I am at work so sadly no- my Vet just retired and am thinking he probably needs to see a vet-

That is ok that you can't get the picture. Is the swelling of the genitalia area where his scrotum is at or where his prepuce is at? Is he urinating normally?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is urinating fine and when I touch the swollen area he is not phased at all - it looks like a swollen bag - you can see that it hangs down from a side view - not sure of scrotum area versus prepuce?

Let me help with a description. The prepuce is where the penis comes out / is stored. The scrotum is where his testicles are (were). Is he neutered?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is neutered I guses scrotum - his penis is fine but the area behind it is what is swollen

How long has this swelling been there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
about a week my son noticed it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he just had a physical at the end of August

Do you feel that the swelling is getting more prominent? They didn't see the swelling at the physical obviously. Did they feel that otherwise everything was going well with him?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is getting old - heart murmur is new , fluid sacs were previously tested no malignancy - have ruled out cushings - he is okay for his age- still takes nice walks- sleeping a lot more

This swelling that you're seeing, it could be a cutaneous growth / mass. It could also be a cyst / fluid filled growth. These are common on older beagles. A lot of being more specific here relies on being able to see what you're seeing. Do you want to post a picture later this evening of it? I'll be on and off all day long.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay will do that thank you

I'll be checking back often later tonight. Talk to you then!