Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I have three Staffordshire terriers. Mother, almost 9 years,

Customer Question

I have three Staffordshire bull terriers. Mother, almost 9 years, twin boy and girl 5 years old. I have recently moved house. The girl is now terrified in the house, keeps looking at walls and ceiling. Now the mother is doing the same and the boy also. She has tried to escape on numerous occasions. Really worried because they are so distressed. Possibly we have squirrels in the loft but I have not heard anything, however there are some droppings which could be squirrel droppings. They are all fine outside the house and in other houses.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that your puppies and Mother are having so much trouble adapting. Something there has frightened all of them causing extreme anxiety. This could be hearing or smelling the squirrels which you ca deal with having an exterminator examining your new house. They will still be frightened so try some of tehse tips to decrease their anxiety:

Purchase DAP Collars for all of them available at the pet store. These are canine pheromones that act as a calming agent to decrease this anxiety.

Thundershirts, available also at the pet store can help decrease this anxiety.

If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help him past this. Take your dogs to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose them to the things they fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when they does something positive. Here is a site with more tips: LINK

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****