Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My chihuahua mixed has had heart worm and treated, now she's

Customer Question

My chihuahua mixed has had heart worm and treated, now she's right about 12 yrs old. The lasting affect of diagnosis of heart worm is a bad type of cough and now and then she has problems with mobility. Is there anything I can do for her mobility? It seems it's a circulatory problem .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual that at Daisy's age, there would be some form of Congestive Heart Failure after having been treated for heartworms that would show up as a cough and exercise intolerance. This will not, however, show up as a problem in mobility. This would relate more to arthritis or a neurologic problem caused by the interference with the nerve supply to Daisy's limbs from an unstable disc or extra bone development secondary to the arthritis. WE often will recommend aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to help decrease inflammation that would cause this. It is better to have your vet examine sweet Daisy to be sure and then your vet will prescribe the correct medication to help Daisy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****