Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Our 16-1/2 year old Tibetan Terrier has been treated for 3

Customer Question

Our 16-1/2 year old Tibetan Terrier has been treated for 3 months -- unsuccessfully -- for a condition whereby she urinates small amounts constantly in a crouch that lasts for a minute or two and then moments later repeats and repeats. We have resorted to diapers in the house but it is so difficult to watch. She cannot get through her breakfast or dinner without having to pee. All tests have come back negative, and no medicine has made a difference. She is amazingly good otherwise! Any ideas? Thank you.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 18 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since there is no evidence of bladder stones or cancer in the bladder or UTI, this problem must be related to a neurologic issue caused by the interference of the nerve supply to the bladder sphincter and this could come from many places such as an unstable disc in her back that would require an MRI to diagnose or a primary brain lesion, also needing an MRI or spinal tap. I wpuld recommend that you seek the attention of a Neurologic Veterinarian that can perform these tests to determine if there is a treatment for this. Considering Katie's age, I would worry about a cancer lesion somewhere that may not be operable and may not be treatable but at least you would know for sure. If it is treat able, then this would be very helpful for sweet Katie's quality of life.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. We have her on Tramadol and she does not seem to be in pain. We just want her to be comfortable. Thank you for your insights.

The lack of nerve supply will not cause any pain and Tramadol will only help with pain. This may require an anti inflammatory medication such as Rimadyl depending on what is causing this but only further testing will tell you for sure.

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 16 days ago.
Hi Sally,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Katie. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta